"The Winston-Salem location just met all our requirements-near a port, access to quality workforce…the right land, educational system, the logistics, the infrastructure."
- Hans Haefeli, VP of Advanced Components and Systems Division Caterpillar Inc.
Advantages of Advanced Manufacturing Companies
Strategic Location & Infrastructure
- The region lies at the intersection of five interstate highways (I-40, 73, 74, 77, 85) and a number of major federal highways (US 29, 52, 70, 220, 311, 421)
- Forsyth County is within 650 miles of more than half of the U.S population and most major domestic markets. Local freight service is provided by Norfolk Southern and CSX
- The region has one of the largest concentrations of trucking companies on the East Coast. FedEx Ground and UPS Ground both maintain regional sorting hubs here with collective sorting capabilities of over 100,000 packages an hour Winston-Salem is only 3 ½ hours from North Carolina's two deep water ports at Wilmington and Morehead City
Workforce and Education
- Companies draw from a regional labor force of over 800,000 Local workforce is supported by focused training at Forsyth Technical Community College as well as a wealth of higher education options at area colleges and universities
Favorable Business Climate
- No inventory tax
- Utilities known for their low cost and high reliability
- State and local incentives
- North Carolina is a right-to-work state
Advanced Manufacturing Employers